Mental Health Laws. Why should I care?
Any one of us at any time in our lives can lose capacity for lots of different reasons including everything from depression to dementia. 70% of people get an illness that they will recover from, but, the remaining 30% will have to live with the illness their entire lives. That 30% are at the most risk of things going wrong with their care plan. I want to make sure that every one who finds themselves in a situation where they are unable to make decisions for themselves is safe.
I decided to do this after my sister died in an nhs hospital after being kept in a secure unit for 21 months after we were told she was fit for release, they said she was a voluntary patient but they threatened to hold her under the mental health act if she tried to leave with me, but, worse than that she was then medicated to the point that she could no longer feed herself or tell you her name. She died aged just 51. The doctor who asked to have an autopsy done said that in his opinion her body just gave up. This cannot be allowed to go on.
Please help me to get the laws changed so that this cannot happen to anyone else. Sign my petition here. http://www.causes.com/causes/810748-stop-over-medicating-mental-health-patients Thank you.